Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Interactivity #3

I feel that the group was as authentic collaborative as it could have been with such a large group, that did not have an in-person class to discuss a meeting time. Myself, Girard and Giuliana were able to meet on person on Friday, February 24 to discuss how to make the spreadsheet look and discuss ideas and terms from the book. I had emailed the group about the creation of the spreadsheet, accomplished by Girard, to help share the document with the group members because I have been using Google+ and Google Docs for a few months. Overall, I appreciated the collection of data from each member and although we could not all meet in person for various reasons (work, class, commuting, etc) we were able to work to put the speadsheet together in a cohesive way.

I feel that the inventory lists will help me a great deal with READ411! I am tutoring my cousin, and as much as I appreciate the examples from When Kids Can’t Read: What Teachers Can Do by Kylene Beers, my cousin (who prefers movies to books) isn’t as thrilled. I feel that many of the websites that incorporate games - Spelling City, AAA Spelling, or Game Zone - within the lessons will help her a great deal with basic reading skills such as sight words and multisyllabic vocabulary. I really appreciated Girard's wordle example - I could use this with my cousin as fun way to teach her the pronunciation of multisyllabic words! Overall, creating the spreadhsheet has allowed me to see a variety of useful teaching tools that I would not have found myself, and although I may not be able to use them for the tutoring I am doing with my cousin, I could most certainly use examples for a classroom setting.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with you about how this interactivity was useful in READ411. I am a nanny to an 8 year old and I have been trying out the technologies/strategies from this class and READ411 with her. I even suggested to her mom the Vocabulary Enrichment website (or something similar) as a way to build Sophia's vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lizz, thank you for including the links to some of the interactive spelling websites. I am mentoring a 12 year old for READ 411 who also struggles with spelling and decoding multisyllabic words, so I am thrilled to have your resources to use with her. We are meeting this afternoon, so I'll update you on how she feels about using them! Honestly, I never thought of looking for online technologies in English to support her learning. Lucky for me, I read your post and will begin with yours. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete